You can see from my before and after curtain views I went from a wooden pole with wooden rings and the curtain suspended from hooks on a curtain tape. The old curtain was three pieces and had a separate lining sewn onto the back to make it dark enough. I like dark blue curtains but in the before version because my old set were too short for the space (I underestimated) I ended up filling the space with a repurposed curtain from somewhere else.
The fabric comes in about a 240cm drop. I don't like floor length curtains but I also don't like the light coming in under the curtains. So I went with a drop to just below the height of the bed in the room (190cm). This allows excellent blackout by keeps the floor clear of the carpet. I also added four weights to the bottom corners of the curtains to assist drape. I just used some mid-sized hardware washers covered in interfacing and stitched these into the bottom seam of the curtain.
I am also going to add a handy tip I saw in an old book. I am going to get two stick-on wall hooks and attach them down low on the outer edge of each window area and then attach a little plastic ring to the back of the curtain. This will allow me to secure the outer edge of the curtain against the wall to stop the tiny bit of light at the edges.
The eyelet fabric moves really well along the metal pole set I got and I followed someone else tip which was to get the biggest diametre pole set that fits the rings to ensure a strong curtain and also to limit light.
I got the Magic Drape eyelet fabric and pole set I used from Spotlight on sale and it is a really great result. I am already keen to replace all my curtains with the same effect. No more annoying hooks coming off curtain rings and no more dusty wood poles and rings for me.